Saturday, May 2, 2009

coyote ugly

i have a very love/hate relationship with mornings. i'm sure that anyone who knows me, and especially anyone who has had to interact with me before noon, would most definitely not characterize me as a morning person. i am always frazzled, half-dressed (okay, not really half  dressed, but you know what i mean), and rarely on time. partly, i think this is just characteristic of me, but usually it is mostly due to my inability to think clearly when i'm half asleep. even though i know from years and years of experience that waking up is not the end of the world and that once i get up i will in fact generate enough energy to make it through the day, every single time my alarm goes off (assuming i even wake up enough to register that it is in fact going off), all i can think of is that i am so. fucking. tired. and this happens whether i've had 4 hours or 10 hours of sleep. 

but. i love being awake in the morning. when i actually can convince myself to wake up early (which is quite seldom, as you may have guessed), it is totally the best thing ever. mornings are so full of potential. even if i don't end up actually having a productive day, i don't know that yet in the morning. mornings are quiet, refreshing, clarifying, energizing, &c., &c. my tragic flaw, of course, is that pivotal moment of sleepy deception in which my body tells my brain (or maybe my brain tells my brain?) that there is no possible way that i could get up at that moment without being completely miserable for the entire day (week, even), so i might as well just keep sleeping. and, usually, i give in to this whore of a feeling, only to finally wake up feeling dirty and used. 

4 comments:

kAb said...

Dude, I think we're sleeping soul mates. Ask Jessie.

We should make some kind of waking up early suicide pact when Junior and I get back. I'm all about making big life changes right now. Um, right. We'll see how that goes.

Good luck with the shit,
K.

mimo-chan said...

haha yeah. you and me both. i would say that the suicide pact is a bad idea, but then again, we'd probably just put it off until we completely forgot about it. or until someone else does it for us.

Billie J. Pilgrim said...

i'm exactly the same way, sleeping wise. i just tend to force myself out of bed more often than kevin does. which carries the disadvantage of oh so many miserable, going-to-my-execution shuffles to the shower. it's a toss-up, i think.

joface said...

I have a totally deranged relationship with alarm clocks + the morning. Every night, as I'm trying to fall asleep, I think about how great it's going to be when I get up early--I'll get all sorts of stuff done, make coffee, not be frantic and late. And then, when the alarm goes off at 7:30 (that seems to be the idea wake up time in these fantasies), I either hit snooze for half an hour or drag myself out of bed and waste that half hour watching the Today Show (which I find incredibly annoying, but always turn on anyway). I don't know why I bother.